3. Rifle Butt Road

Rifle Butt Road originally got its name from the rifle ranges at the top of Whitehawk Hill at the time of the Napoleonic wars. This quiet road of flint cottages was dominated by the gasworks, which were built in 1818-9. The gasworks and the houses were bombed in the Second World War. Rifle Butt Road and the Quaker burial ground alongside it were demolished to make way for the Marina.

As Arundel Street and Arundel Road are also included in this section, there are photographs charting the development of the French Convalescents Home and St Mark's School